Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Ramblings about intense training during the off-season.

It’s weird how returning to the basics of training can often improve your fitness more than the honing effects of peaking for specific events. Maybe it’s because I feel less stress now than when I had to perform perfectly on “race” day. Or maybe it’s because I’m just getting the rest/recovery I needed all along or because I’m re-including the foundation training that I need to support the extreme efforts that I continue to do to keep my level of fitness reasonably high. I imagine that a good portion of the improvements are coming from my inclusion of a couple of ferociously intense efforts in the “pain cave” each week. I think the infamous Ultramarathon man, Dean Karnazes, used the expression: “If it doesn’t require extraordinary effort, you’re not pushing hard enough.” Whatever the case, I feel amazingly strong and fit right now—both with my high end sustainable power and with my muscular strength. In fact, I’d bet I’m stronger now than I was during this entire year in both explosive and sustained climbing power and in distance riding.

This begs an interesting question. Why do I continue with high-end fitness training during the off-season when my target events are 10 months away? Don’t I need a period of low-end base training or mental freshness to restart my training year? Probably…to some extent. But I suppose these perspectives don’t satisfy my desire to continually improve. And I’m afraid if I give myself an inch, I’ll take a mile, when it comes to relaxation. I think many athletes sacrifice more of their hard-earned fitness than they need to by over-resting and reducing nearly all their intense training efforts for the sake of “base-training” during the off-season.

I won’t try and convince others of any of my unorthodox training perspectives nor do I feel the need to justify why I like to push hard regularly and adhere strictly to the adage “Quality over Quantity”. I’d rather just worry about what I like to do. In fact, one question that has crossed my mind a lot recently is: “Why would my body adapt to a higher level of exertion and sustainability, if it’s already capable of doing what I demand of it?” Doesn’t the obvious response to this question apply year round?

While I know It’s normal to live in cycles of varying volume and intensity throughout the training week/month/year, I think an athlete has to regularly “remind” his/her body of exactly what (an)aerobic suffering is, if they don’t want to lose too much ground in the off-season. After all, in nearly every other pursuit in life, I’m expected to be at some minimum level of performance and can’t simply take a complete “off” season from life to rest for long from the challenges I face. Why should I think this principle doesn’t apply to training too?

I guess this banter just means one thing for me if I plan on cyclically, yet continually, getting fitter—even during the off-season. I’ve got to ‘put up’ or ‘shut up’. This includes my continuing efforts to try and eat fewer doughnuts and keep up a variety of complementary activities that all contribute to my end goals. And of course, I’ll make sure the intensity is occasionally high enough to bring on blood-shot eyes and a viscerally fierce pain that elicits a deep training stimulus for me to keep getting stronger.

Have fun!

J-Naut

2 comments:

Piotrek said...

Good post! I'm doing a moderate amount of tempo and threshold intervals right now. Some people actually race in the "off-season".

Juggernaut said...

Thanks for the comment Piotrek.

I think a moderate amount of tempo and threshold work is great, as long as you keep up just enough foundation work to support the higher efforts. Then, you likely won't have lost too much by next spring.
Admittedly, I haven't done many of my shorter, super-intense intervals (~4min) with minimal rest. But I've definitely incorporated some ramped steady-state work that often ends with several minutes of very taxing efforts that distresses me both physically and phychologically.

Unfortunately, since I don't race XC or other events that would force me to to go well into my uncomfortable range, I have to summon the effort from within.

Best of luck.

J-Naut